Current News Stories
On Thursday, June 8, 57 seniors graduated from The Baldwin School as the 129th graduating class. These seniors earned 253 acceptances to 135 colleges and universities across 18 states in the US and 3 countries. Seventy-one percent were admitted to their first choice college.
The class speaker for the 2017 commencement ceremony was Madeleine Marr. Miss Marr, who was elected by her peers, delivered her speech on June 8 at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church.
This year's commencement keynote speaker is Angela Duckworth, the Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania. She is also the Founder and CEO of Character Lab, a nonprofit whose mission is to advance the science and practice of character development. Angela studies grit and self-control. A 2013 MacArthur “Genius” Fellow, Angela has advised the White House, the World Bank, NBA and NFL teams, and Fortune 500 CEOs. Currently, she serves as a faculty director for Wharton People Analytics, an initiative that helps organizations adopt the latest insights from social science research. Angela has received numerous awards for her contributions to K-12 education, including a Beyond Z Award from the KIPP Foundation. Her first book, Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance, debuted last year as an immediate New York Times bestseller.
Facts about The Baldwin School Class of 2017:
- 32% of the class was accepted at an Ivy League school, with all 8 Ivy League schools represented: Brown University (3), Columbia University (4) Cornell University (3), Dartmouth University (2), Harvard University (2), Princeton University (2), University of Pennsylvania (5) and Yale University (3)
- 93% of the class had an acceptance in the early acceptance round.
- 55% of the class was accepted to the most highly selective colleges and universities.
- Class average SAT scores: 700 Reading, 680 Math
- Six students have committed to play college athletics at the following schools: Columbia University, Stanford University, Bucknell College, Union College, Washington University in St. Louis and Duquesne University.
- One student received the Swarthmore College McCabe Scholarship with a full tuition offer.
- One student was admitted into the Huntsman Program at University of Pennsylvania, to which only 50 students are admitted worldwide.
- More than 20% of the class was honored by the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- 28% of the class has attended Baldwin since Kindergarten.